THE WONDER OF MENTAL HEALTH
A heartwarming first person narrative about a boy dealing with mental health issues resulting from an infection (PANDAS) and middle grade challenges.
Resources for Parents:
This book can act as a catalyst to start conversations about mental health with your child. Here are some prompts:
Does your child ever feel the emotions that the character talks about?
Which ones do they identify with?
How do these issues feel in their body?
How would your child feel if that situation came up?
Does your child use any of the tools mentioned?
It’s important to start these conversations so your child knows they can talk with you about mental health.
Resources for Teachers:
Questions for Class Reflection:
• Who are the main characters?
• What is the setting?
• What is the theme of the novel?
• What challenges does Ben face in the novel?
• What conflicts arise in the novel?
Additional Questions for a Class Assignment:
1. Provide Chapter Summaries (1 & 2; 3 & 4; 5 & 6, 7 & 8; 9 & 10; 11 & 12; 13, 14 & 15).
2. Provide a plot summary in 2 – 4 sentences.
3. What would you rate this novel (out of 10) and why?
4. Choose one of the following activities:
• Design a new book cover;
• Create and perform a news broadcast of events from the book;
• Write a sequel or an alternate ending to the book;
• Create a diorama of a specific scene of the book.
Resources for Teachers, Organizations and Librarians:
S.E. German is available for readings of Pendulum and author talks. Contact S.E. German by email today!
Ask your local library to stock it today!